Pulmonary Function Testing
- Patients are asked to contact our office at 683-4415 to receive detailed instructions on which medications to hold prior to the test.
- Wear loose fitting clothing/short sleeve shirt on day of appointment.
- You will be required to wear the equipment for approximately 24 to 72 hours or 2 weeks.
- Your return time will be given to you when you receive the monitor.
- No bathing or showering while wearing the equipment.
- Do not sleep on a water bed or under an electric blanket for the duration of the test.
- If you work around airport security equipment, high power lines, transformers, or climb hydro poles, please arrange to perform other duties for the time you are wearing the monitor.
- Do not drink any caffeinated beverages on the day of your test, or your test may need to be rescheduled.
- Bring clean running shoes, as you will be exercising on a treadmill.
- Wear comfortable clothing, including a short sleeve t-shirt.
- Bring a list of medications to all appointments.
- Please contact our office at 683-4415 if you need to reschedule an appointment. 2 days (48 hours) notice is required to reschedule.
- There is a $25.00 fee for all missed appointments, and canceled appointments with insufficient notification. This is not covered by Ontario Health.
Your care provider can refer you to the Medical Diagnostics and Consulting for the following:
- Blood pressure monitoring
- Pulmonary lung function testing
- Holter monitoring
- Exercise stress testing
- Loop event recorders
- Smoking cessation
- Sleep studies
MDAC is the Regional Sleep Centre
820 Red River Rd (corner of Red River & Clarkson)
Thunder Bay, ON, P7B 1K2
Phone: (807) 683-4415
Fax: (807) 683-4420
Your doctor, not you, must send us a signed letter or a signed referral form. Forms are available from MDAC
You must be 16 yrs of age or older to be seen for a sleep study.
You must be referred by an MD: your family doctor, your specialist, or a doctor at a walk-in clinic. Your Nurse Practitioner may refer you for a spirometry test or non-urgent ECG only.
Most tests can be booked within two weeks
Requests for sleep studies and/or consultations are reviewed, by our Sleep Physicians and your case is given a priority rating. We know that every person wants help as soon as possible, and you will receive the earliest available appointment.
Referrals received for sleep studies and/or consultations are reviewed by one of our sleep physicians and is assigned a priority rating. Patients are then booked for a sleep study or consultation. An appointment letter will be sent to you.